DaedTech Digest: Settling into Charleston
It was a big, fat whiff last Friday. But let’s dust ourselves off and move on, picking up this week with the DaedTech digest.
Last week was a busy week, which was why I didn’t post at all. We moved from Austin to Charleston, South Carolina, and we did so mid-week, without taking a break from work, exactly. Amanda and I didn’t work during the car ride or anything, so it was more a question of making up the work from the Tuesday and Wednesday that we spent driving on Thursday though Saturday.
Needless to say, none of this was conducive to a digest post.
After a 1400-ish mile drive spread over 2 days, we settled in last week. And, by Sunday and Monday, we got to go out and explore a bit. We’re staying on an island called Isle of Palm, just outside of Charleston, and we’ve had a chance to explore the island itself, Charleston proper, and the nearby countryside (more on that below in the form of a gator pic).
It’s been great! While tornadoes, bomb cyclones and polar vortexes have been enveloping the rest of the country, we’ve been enjoying very mild weather, ranging from the high-50s to mid-70s. Life is slow paced and extremely quiet where we are, and we had a great time poking around sleepy Charleston.
But perhaps nothing holds a candle so far to our exploration of the grounds of a former plantation/current wildlife park. We went out looking for creatures and we found all sorts, including this gator that I got a photo of from maybe 10 feet away.
It’s always fun and an adventure to settle into a new place.
- I’m not sure if I’ve ever thrown this one a pick before, but I’ll show some love for LastPass. It’s been an easy-to-use, cross-platform mainstay of my life for the last bunch of years. If you’re still a password manager hold out, give it a look.
- I picked this on a recording of the Freelancers Show, but I’ll also pick it here: AirBNB experiences. It’s a really great way to take advantage of local knowledge and entrepreneurs offering interesting tours and experiences. We booked our taco tour of Austin this way, and in Charleston, we’ve booked experiences walking anteaters and bottle-feeding baby goats (pictures to follow). When you travel, if you want something interesting to do, give this a look.
- If you’re ever in the Charleston, SC area and you want to go find some gators, like the one above (as well as egrets, herons, peacocks, and more), check out where we went: Magnolia Plantation and Gardens. A great way to spend an afternoon.
- How do you get started freelancing later in your career? I tackled this question with the other panelists in an episode of the Freelancers Show about getting started freelancing your 40s. (I’m not 40 yet, but assume I am for that episode)
- I did a video for the Hit Subscribe Youtube channel about how to fix up old blog posts to improve how much traffic they bring to your site. Give that a watch if you’ve got a blog and are interested in more passive traffic.
- Here’s a Facebook Live that Amanda and I did, where we answered questions about content marketing.
And, as always, have yourselves a great weekend.