DaedTech

Stories about Software

By

ChessTDD 31: Look, We Caught a Bug!

A bit of time went by between when I recorded the code and when I narrated it, so pardon the unusual amount of rust there. But this episode was particularly interesting because an actual bug emerged and I fixed it. Yay for acceptance tests. After that, a second bug emerged, but I ran out of time. So there’s definitely a todo for episode 32.

What I accomplish in this clip

  • Got away from the C&P implementation of “then” for the new style of tests and implemented a usable one.
  • Discovered and fixed a bug in king’s moves.
  • Discovered another bug to fix next time.

Here are some lessons to take away:

  • When you’re stumped by behavior, particularly in integration tests, the continuous testing tool can help you run experiments very quickly.  Add a precondition assert to verify that your assumptions are correct.
  • TDD is not a catch-all against bugs, by any stretch.  I had a dumb bug in the implementation of the King class that I failed to catch, and everyone following along failed to catch (assuming someone would have reported it, anyway).  It wasn’t until I started simulating real production usage that these bugs started to be revealed.  Acceptance tests are critical.
  • The balance between ATDD and TDD is beneficial.  You’ll see going forward that when I find problems, I tend to use increasingly specific tests the way that you might be used to using step-through in the debugger.  Narrowing the scope of the problem with tests rather than the debugger has the advantage of leaving a trail of breadcrumbs that become guards against regressions as you go on.
  • This ATDD/TDD stuff works.  As you can see, I caught 2 bugs that could have escaped into production.
  • Never commit with red tests, obviously, but I also say never take a break with red tests (the way I would have to between clips).  If you have to go, comment or delete that red test, so that you can start fresh with green next time and reintroduce it.